WCCB Wins Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2020
The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) has received the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award-2020.
Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB)
- It is a statutory body constituted under the WildLife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- Ministry: Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- Mandate: To combat organized wildlife crime in the country.
- Headquarter: New Delhi
- Regional offices: Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and Jabalpur
- WCCB has developed an online Wildlife Crime Database Management System to get real time data to analyse trends in wildlife crimes across India.
- This system has been successfully used for carrying out operations such as Operation Save Kurma, Thunderbird, Wildnet, Lesknow, Birbil, Thunderstorm, Lesknow-II etc resulting in huge seizures of Tiger/Leopard Skin/bones, Rhino Horn, Elephant Ivory etc.
- WCCB got the award twice in three years.
- It has been awarded this year under the Innovation category.
- Awarded by: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).